Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Rock Around the Block by Bob Keith


I had a chance to sneak down to the fourth annual Block Party in downtown Janesville on Sunday the 24th of August. At least one of the bar owners down there tells me it is the fourth one - I originally thought third, but who's counting? The Janesville Gazette did a prep piece on the Wednesday before the event which gives I believe a rather good lineup of what actually took place as far as bands etcetera. I was surprised to notice there was no after-event newspaper piece I could find.

This year's event boasted a lineup of 29 bands at eight neighboring locations in the downtown area - five bars and three outdoor stages. I arrived just as it was turning dusk. The event had already been going on for several hours. The event basically used the same general area as the Farmers' Market.

Remember the event was held on a Sunday just a weekend before Labor Day Weekend. What impressed me was - as I held my breath - the conspicuous absence of shenanigans. Police presence seemed to be minimal, even sparse. There were several vendors set up on Main Street. People were allowed to bring beer onto the street up until 9:00 p.m.

I took in the after-party Pat McCurdy session at the Looking Glass that started around the time the party outside drew to a close. Most die hards know Pat McCurdy - a Milwaukee origin self-stiled "niche singer, comic, poet, and generally musical character."

- just a political snippet. I know at least a couple small businesses whose owners sited too many bars in downtown Janesville as the last straw that finally pushed them out to outer Janesville locations. Those businesses had females and children primarily as clients. It is a hard thing when two business cultures can not coexist. I am not sure one can reconcile an economy where taverns, clubs, bars, and banks are primarily the last businesses standing in a downtown. Apparently the event went off with minimal alcohol related capers. One bar owner told me the event was, "A resounding success." It is a bitter sweet success I suspect, to a less tavern-oriented sect of our culture here.

Until next year then...

1 comment:

Judith said...

Overivews....so many people!; streets cleared and cleaned almost when crowds moved inside at 9; in spite of ear-splitting volume by some bands the music was barely audible even one block away! THANK YOU organizers and volunteers. You did a SPECTACULAR JOB and we can't wait to return in '09.