Thursday, September 11, 2008

Labor Day Fest, Parade, retrospect by Bob Keith


The Janesville Labor Fest is held over Labor Day weekend on the United Auto Workers grounds. I popped over there a couple times over the weekend. There are a couple simple nuances I like about it and make an event like this work, at least in my fest play book. It is a casually affair. There is no charge to get in. Parking is abundant. The various labor groups that share volunteering at the event take an unassuming approach to manning the food tent etcetera - order your burger and brat and a team of folks make it happen rather quick.

You do not have to be a union member to attend - it is open to the public. Bands come and go on the main stage throughout the weekend. There is plenty of stuff for the smaller kids to snoop around in - petting zoo etcetera. The folks at the beer tent are friendly.
The Labor Fest is linked at the hip the Labor Day Parade in downtown Janesville. Some the parade participants head out to the fest after the parade. Something I found amusing on my own behalf was the Zor Shrine Temple Camels. They walked in the parade and then gave free camel rides over at the fest grounds. I have been in Iraq twice as a writer and never saw a camel there. I found myself snapping pictures of these local camels with the rest of the folks.
This year's Labor Day Parade is the first one I stayed for the duration. Being that it was a hot day I was relieved to see some of the bands marching in light clothing like T-shirts and cargo shorts. I remember back in my band days the status quo insisting on all uniforms all the time. But those were also the days when the football team was warned against drinking too much water while at practice. Thank goodness some things do not stay the same.

I see Ol' Stan Milam from WCLO 1230 AM radio in Janesville was manning the microphone down on Milwaukee Street as the parade went by. Prattling for three hours from the hip with no co-host, and doing it to a dynamic outdoor audience is not an easy thing to do.
The New Glarus Fire Department Ladder Company is near and dear to my heart because I was on the New Glarus Emergency Medical Service for 10 years. We worked closely with their fire department. The old guard I remember on the ladder crew have been replace by their sons and nephews - did not recognize any of the new players.

Final note - The current economy, business layoffs, and pending layoffs has taken its toll on all the workers in the Janesville area. I hope the future Labor Fest and its companion parade can weather the economic storm.

No comments: